Follow @alexsaucetice

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Tomorrow is Today.

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." This might be the most comforting quote I have ever heard. I'm not sure who says it and even if the author was the most hated person on this earth, this would still probably be my favorite quote. My family has this saying hanging on a sign in our kitchen. Most days I would walk by it without so much as a second glance or even a passing thought. But on nights like tonight where my brain is in overdrive and won't stop thinking, I can hear the quote. There's something about it that is so inexplicably calming to me and if I even think about it a wave of relief consumes me. It slows my thoughts down to a manageable pace and I just feel better.

Scotland 2012
I'm not one to worry constantly about my future or where I'm going in life but that doesn't mean I never think about how my friends all already know what they want to major in and do for a living and have plans. I feel like I put myself behind because I didn't think about this enough when I was younger. All I have ever been is a dreamer. And I know I'm not the only one. When it came to actually doing things, I think I thought they would happen if they should and they wouldn't if they shouldn't. Most of the time I still think that way and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Typically I try to leave things up to God but sometimes I can't help but hear Him say, "Gee, I'm doing a lot of the heavy lifting on Alexis' life and she's gotta start pulling her own weight sooner or later."

I love telling myself that He has a plan for my life and everything will work itself out. Doesn't mean I don't worry that it won't. This is where the quote comes in handy. Before I get too down on myself or feel too defeated, I read it. Everyone needs something like it to look to. Find a quote and take it in, soak it up, breathe it out, and go. If you want to change the world right now, go. If that means you're going to get your crazy intelligent friends together and figure out a cure for cancer, snaps for you. If it means that you're going to buy yourself the toiletpaper that you've needed since last week, kudos, disgusting sir. We interpret these sayings in different ways and that's ultimately the cause of our effects. What will force you to become the best you you can possibly be? Discover that and you've already won. It's undoubtedly the scariest and most exhausting part, but the journey up until that discovery is literally what we are all living for. Who are you going to be tomorrow? 

3 comments:

  1. Big secret...even those of us with majors and internships don't know what we are doing. You just make small choices with your eyes closed usually and along the way and they lead you somewhere. Love your blogs keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so amazingly pertinent for me on the day you wrote this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Lex, I really liked this line "Find a quote and take it in, soak it up, breathe it out, and go." Well written my friend, and it will be my quote for today :)

    ReplyDelete